I love my therapist, but sometimes I can feel just as good after spending two hours at my favorite coffee shop as I do after I've spent $70 on the couch.
I always sit at the counter, what I think of as the front row seat to an audience-participation show: The barsitas sing. They dance. They make inappropriate puns. They ask me where the heck I've been for the last few weeks. And the loneliness I felt while driving here melts away as I enjoy a veggie omelet and coffee, and listen to the green-haired barista (the one with the wide smile that always makes me smile back) sing, "It Takes Two" in falsetto.
A fellow customer asked me why I drove all the way here while there are so many great cafes in Cambridge. But I haven't found the same warmth there. I haven't found a place I can always get a seat, sit at the counter, enjoy free wi-fi and amazing crepes (and eye candy to boot). Sure, it's a 15 minute drive. But to feel my heavy heart lift in the same amount of time it takes to make an omelet is more than worth the gas.
I thank the Taste in Newtonville crew for always raising my spirits, and tell anyone and everyone who has a car and is willing to make the trip that this, among all the others clumped together in Cambridge, is second to none.
No comments:
Post a Comment