Saturday, March 21, 2009

Flying Solo Part I

If you know me well, this may come as a shock. Prepare.

In certain social situations where I only know one or two people, and they know a million other people and are not going to be able to spend much time with me other than a few moments, I am painfully shy. I try my best to avoid these situations by inviting friends along. But tonight it looks like I'm on my own. It's good for me, I know, but I'm uncharacteristically nervous all the same. And if I hadn't promised my coworker I'd see his band, I'd be snuggling under my covers with The Office as we speak, not freaking out about what jeans I'm wearing, if I'll be able to find a parking spot, or if I'll be able to hug a corner fast enough without being stranded in the middle of an empty dance floor. Doesn't sound like me, does it?

I'd like to say I'm going to take a stand tonight and make everything different, be bold and go talk to people I find interesting, and end up meeting friends. But I've gone out with these aspirations before and come home alone with a Starbuck's hot cocoa for comfort. I don't need to meet a million people, but it would be nice. We'll see.

Update to follow post-show.

No comments: