![]() |
| The biggest irony is that I am, indeed, posting this to Facebook. |
A few weeks ago, I was wasting time online when my mood changed from relatively content to sour. As I continued to scroll, the sourness deepened, and I went from gherkin to sauerkraut to lemon wedge to Green Apple Warhead in about thirty seconds. By the time I pried myself away from my distraction, I had settled into a funk that stayed with me for most of the morning. If someone had gone back through my browser history to try and get to the bottom of my mood, the findings would be inconclusive. No one would have been able to tell that it was spurred by counting "likes" on Facebook.
I've taken various breaks from the "Book of Faces," as a few friends call it, at different times, mostly during busy periods of my life where I simply can't afford the distraction. Up until a few weeks ago, though, I'd never stepped away from it because I thought it was "bad" for me. I always just figured I had a "healthy" level of addiction just like everyone else, that I could step away from it whenever I needed to get things done, and that it would continue to be a source of harmless entertainment. That was until some other factors in my life made my emotions go on a bit of an amusement park ride, and I realized that Facebook wasn't so harmless after all.
I got jealous. I started comparing the number of "likes" on my posts to others' posts. I even started counting the number of times certain people "liked" my things versus others' things. I craved that little cartoon thumb, but at the same time hated it. So I stepped back again, this time to get my head back in the real world, where people actually like me.
How my Facebook newsfeed affected me wasn't healthy, but it isn't rare, either - studies have shown a correlation between spending time on Facebook and depression, like this one from Sweden, which found that "women who spend more time on Facebook report feeling less happy and...less content with their lives." I can usually catch myself becoming more discontent the longer I scroll, and I know the cure is to walk away and focus on the happy things that are happening in my own life. But that's where the trap pulls me in again.
Because a mark of our generation is to share things. To share everything. Not just information, but pictures. Look at this sandwich. Look at this sunset. Look at this cat. And sometimes I think the sandwich doesn't seem as delicious, the sunset not as brilliant, the cat not as adorable, if we can't get someone else to share in our satisfaction. So back to the internet we go, and wait for the "likes" to pour in. And if they don't? It must not have been that great of a sandwich/brilliant of a sunset/cute of a cat after all.
The only way right now I can break the cycle is to step away from it - well, partially anyway. I'm still on Twitter and Instagram, still wonder why there are fewer hearts on my pictures of me and Adam than on my pictures of the cat, still wonder if anyone even read that last Tweet. But for some reason those darts aren't as poisonous, so for now, it's where I'll make my social media home*.
But Kate, you ask, why don't you just step away from everything and go out and live your life? If you're so worried about the quality of your experiences being marred by your desire for social media validation, why don't you just unplug altogether? Because, disembodied voice talking to a blog post, I live in 2014. I'll always be right back in the soup, and so will you. The trick is not letting it slosh out the sides.
*But of course I'm still posting a link to this on Facebook. That's where you found it, right?

No comments:
Post a Comment