Because I've been going through so many big changes in my life lately, I wasn't sure how to approach the loneliness and painful nostalgia I felt for lives left behind. I knew that I wanted to keep talking to all my old friends, the friends that already know me inside and out and could make me smile with a few words, but sometimes this connection did more harm than good. I found myself so lonely for those thousands of miles away that I would curl up into a ball and be unable to open my eyes to new possible friends and experiences out here in Boston.
So I staved off a lot of communication with these old friends, and put my full attention on making new ones. I was able to get past missing my old friends and open my eyes to all the experiences out here with my new friends. But it wasn't until people found out about the divorce that old friends (even older than I'd been talking to recently) started to write and call. Their support has meant the world to me, and I've been even more strengthened to go out here and make new friends and have new experiences.
Thus I have reached a balance. There's no reason I should shy away from those who know and love me already just to have a positive attitude in making friends here. If anything, I need all the support and love I can get - and that's what everyone is giving me. I am so grateful for it all. And if I've been a little distant with anyone lately...I'm sorry. I'm over it. Shall we chat?
No comments:
Post a Comment