Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Perfect Gentleman of the Yellow Checker

I had the coolest cab driver on the way to the airport early this morning. He arrived in the pouring rain, his golfer’s cap soaking instantly as he got out of the car. I winced as he heaved my heavy bag into the trunk -- he must have been at least 70 years old – but he made light of it. “Isn’t the worst I’ve seen,” he said in a thick Boston accent.

Before he pulled out, he made small talk. Good morning, where are you from? What are you doing here? And then finally he said, “All right missy, do you have your phone? Charger? ID? Medications?”

I laughed and assured him I did.

“You’d be surprised how many times I ask people that and they still forget.” He reached into the front passenger seat and opened his palm to me. “Want a butterscotch?” I realized I couldn’t have painted a better character sketch if my life depended on it.

He pulled out then, started the meter, and we were off on what became the most educational cab ride I’ve ever experienced. Turned out Frank Sullivan was a history buff, and as soon as he found out I was from Illinois he decided that I just had to know the history of Edward O’Hare, the namesake of the world’s busiest airport. I almost got the impression that Frank was a bit of a ham; he spoke in a theatric manner, like he’d told the story before in front of a large audience or television camera. Although I guess he did have a large audience – his moving taxi classroom, with students who really had no choice but to listen.

O’Hare was born, grew up, fought World War II and died in that fifteen-minute ride. At the end I tipped him $12.00 - $6.00 for the driving, $6.00 for the history lesson. I want to remember it all, although while I know the details of O’Hare’s life will probably fade within a few days, I won’t soon forget my morning. And I’ll know who to ask for next time I call for a cab – good old Frank Sullivan from Newton, history buff and perfect gentleman of the yellow checker.

No comments: