Thursday, September 4, 2008

Travel and Settling In

I have now arrived and settled in to my room in Newton. Kristi drove out with me and after an exciting jaunt at Niagara Falls (where we discovered that Canadians are just as money-thirsty as Americans when it comes to tourist traps), we arrived on Sunday. Tooling around Newton, downtown Boston, and Cambridge the last four days has led me to believe that I will like it here. Kristi is more of a Rural Girl than I (though I am still the original) so she was a bit overwhelmed with the pace, the people and the traffic. I, on the other hand, am invigorated by the pace, intrigued by the people, and determined to become a better driver. My initial impressions were confirmed today when I drove back from Logan without my GPS, listening to a great alternative radio station I wouldn't have dreamed getting in Saginaw, and stopping on my way back at Trader Joe's for some milk and bread.

Life is good.

Meanwhile, professionally, it looks like things are shaping up. I attended my first class at Lesley I will be TAing this semester, and am excited to start the readings as well as get to know the process of teaching at a university level. Who knows, I might like it enough to work my way up the ranks. My internship with the Harvard Review starts Monday, where I'll start immediately reading fiction transcripts. I have also been in contact with the academic tutoring center at Lesley and will probably be picking up some tutoring hours there for income. So things are actually shaping up professionally, too.

Meanwhile, I'm still working on school, even though I've neglected most of it for the past few weeks. I will be attached to this desk and this computer for the next three days, to finish the submission that's due on Monday. But I will probably be taking a few breaks to blog, take a dip in the pool, and eat some of the college staples I have acquired (not to mention the leftover shepherd's pie and Indian food waiting in the fridge). Now is the time to eat what I have and not spend any more money until I have a job. Unless it's on train passes and parking to get where I need to be.

I love it when I picture a situation to be a lot worse than it turns out to be. Sure I'm stressed for a while, but the pleasant surprise at the end *almost* makes it worth it.

No comments: