Friday, October 31, 2008

Too Late for Empathy?

We are all wrought with self-doubt at times in our lives, but I'd like to think that for the most part, the even-keeled that walk among us believe that they're usually doing all right. No matter what flaws others see in us, there's a part of us that wants to believe that the way we are is okay, and that there's no reason to change. But sometimes things happen that blow us over and cause us to take stock in a way that stays with us forever.

For me, it was something my dad said to me when I was in high school. He said that among my many talents, among the multitude of friends I had and brains I possessed, I faltered at one thing about all else: empathy. He said that if I were only more empathetic with people, I would have it made and could hand-pick my world to be any way I wanted. Now I know there were lots of speeches my parents made to me over the years, but none stuck with me the way this one did. I went upstairs and sat on my bed and thought very hard about empathy. Was I really so deficient in such a basic human quality?

This conversation has haunted me, but possibly kept me from making decisions or comments over the years that lacked empathy. I know that from it I have learned how to take the thoughts and feelings of others under consideration. But sometimes I hit a large snag and realize that my dad was right and still is in a lot of ways - sometimes I'm far too concerned about making myself feel better that I don't consider the feelings of others. I say things that make me feel better, or stronger, and they come out wrong because I didn't consider how the other person might take them. I hear my father's words and realize that the more I do this, the farther I stray from a happy and fulfilled life.

When we go through life feeling we're doing okay, feeling ourselves fall so far jolts our reality in a big way. Suddenly we do things that go against what we've always felt was right, and even though they seem right at the time, they are revealed as awful later on. It's a realization I must make to continue this process of self-growth, for sure.

I just hope it's not too late.

No comments: